Answers to Questions by Yair Davidiy
Why did Rebeccah favor Jacob over Esau?
Isaac and Rebecca were the parents of Esau and Jacob.
Â Esau and Jacob were twins but Esau had emerged first and therefore was considered the first-born.
Â When Isaac was dying he wished to bless Esau (Genesis 27:3-4).
Â Rebecca had received a Prophecy that her younger son was to be given the pre-eminence.
- Genesis 25:
- Â 23 The LORD said to her,
- Â Two nations are in your womb;
- Â And two peoples will be separated from your body;
- Â And each people shall struggle to be stronger than the other;
- Â And the older shall serve the younger.
Rebecca instructed Jacob to dress up like Esau and pretend to be him in order to receive the blessing (Genesis 25:6-17).
Â Jacob did so.
Â Esau when he heard that the blessing had been given to Jacob instead of him cried out.
Â Isaac told him that the blessing to Jacob would go into effect despite the way it had been obtained. It was from heaven (Genesis 25:33).
Â Esau then revealed to Isaac that previously Jacob had bought the birthright from him (Genesis 25:36).
Â Later Isaac again confirmed the blessing to Jacob.
- Genesis 28:
- Â 3 May God Almighty bless you and make you fruitful and multiply you, that you may become a company of peoples.
- Â 4 May He also give you the blessing of Abraham, to you and to your descendants with you, that you may possess the land of your sojournings, which God gave to Abraham.
Rebecca had favored Jacob and enabled him to receive the blessing.
Â The revelation to Rebecca at the birth of the twins may be considered Divine Instruction to do what she could to promote the cause of Jacob over Esau.
Â This is what she did.